Food Allergy - Frequently Asked Questions
What is the accuracy and reliability of food allergy test？
- Our partner laboratory using Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay, ELISA, to test for the levels of IgE and IgG antibodies for at least 96 and 184 foods respectively
- The test is completed in the U.S.A
- Our collaborated laboratories are approved by CLIA (US Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments) accredited by COLA and CAPP (US Commission on Office Laboratory Accredition and the College of American Pathologists Proficiency Testing Program)
- Each patient's test is conducted twice to ensure accuracy and reliability
- Personalised 4-Day Rotational Diet plan is recommended for each client with a 45-min consultation provided by our nutritionist
How can I do a food allergy test？
- No physician or doctor’s referral is needed
- One can make an appointment with us by telephone (2865 7073 or e-mail (email@example.com) to complete the blood collection process in our office which can be finished within 10 minutes
- Blood sample will be couriered to our U.S based laboratory for anaylsis
- Report will be released within 2 weeks
Is the food allergy test suitable to children and pregnant women？
Food allergy test is suitable to all age include children and pregnant women. Infants aged younger than 6 months are not recommended to perform this test because the immune system for infants at 0-6 months is not fully developed which limit their ability to produce antibody.
What precautions should be taken before the food allergy test？
- No fasting is needed, please eat as if your normal day
- In case you are taking steroidal anti-inflammatory medications, please perform this food allergy test 3 weeks after cessation of drugs. This is because steroids will suppress the immune system and reduce the levels of antibodies, which will make the report underestimate the actual allergic condition. Those topical cream containing steroid and all other western medications include anti-histamine for allergy will not affect the results
- For those who chronically take Chinese herbal medication should also do this test 3 weeks after cessation of medication because some Chinese herbs able to suppress inflammation and antibodies too
What will be the presentation style of the food allergy test report？
The food allergy test report classifies food into 4 categories - the exact score for each of the food allergen will be reported, this can accurately reflect the allergy or inflammation triggering effects for each food :
- 0 Reactivity or No reactivity: Foods in this class can be consumed freely
- 1-star reactivity：Foods in this class can trigger a low level of antibodies. They can be consumed every 1 week for the first 3 months, then rotate these foods every 4 days afterwards
- 2-star reactivity: Foods in this class can trigger a moderate level of antibodies. Please avoid these foods for 3 months
- 3-star reactivity：Foods in this class can trigger a high level of antibodies. Please avoid these foods for at least 6 months. Re-introduction of allergic food maybe possible depends on the body condition
What kinds of foods and data will be provided in the food allergy test report？
The levels of IgG antibody for maximum 204 foods can be reported. They include foods in several different categories: Dairy, Seafood, Nuts, Legumes, Poultry, Meats, Vegetables, Fruits, and miscellaneous items include herbal seasonings, cola, Chinese herbs, coffee and honey.
- Items with elevated IgE level：
- A lifelong avoidance of these offending foods is important and even life saving
- Items with elevated IgG level：
- A 3 – 6 months cessation of the reactive foods based on the allergic levels. Rotating the foods that are in the low or no-reaction category will result in marked improvement of the chronic allergic symptoms.
In most cases, if your condition is due to allergic reactions to food, you should notice clearing of your symptoms within 1 month. Obvious alleviation of symptoms is common among children.
In case the food allergy test report shows you are allergic to egg and cow’s milk. Will avoidance of these foods entirely lead to nutritional deficiency？
All foods have their corresponding substitutes for their nutritional values. For example, egg allergy can use variety of meats or beans as substitute. While cow’s milk allergy can use goat milk, soy milk, calcium fortified rice milk and sesame are appropriate alternatives for cow milk. Nutritional supplements may be used in some special events or conditions. For any question or hesitation, please contact our nutritionist.
Who will take care of my food allergy test report？
Our nutritionist will prepare a personalized 4-day rotation diet plan for each clients. A 45-min consultation will be provide for report interpretation. Clients are welcome and recommended to bring along their previous body check reporta during the consultation so that we can give even more comprehensive dietary recommendation.
When should be the best timing for retest？
After at least 6 months of compliance of the 4-day rotation diet plan and offending food avoidance, a retest can be considered to identify if the allergic condition is on the normalizing trend, likewise, dig out any new allergic item arise during the past 6 month rotation diet.
What action should be made in case there is no improvement or alleviation of allergic symptoms after performing a food allergy test and following the diet plan？
Please bring your food allergy test report together with most of your previous body check reports to your physician to identify if the problems are due to other confounding factors and see if other diagnostic screenings are needed.